If you’ve taken my skin type test and discovered your type is normal, congrats! Normal skin is the easiest skin type to treat. With your skincare routine, the goal is to maintain the balance of your skins and make sure it stays hydrated.
These are ingredients I love and always look for in a product formula. There are also ingredients I try to avoid, so do your skin a favor and check those too.
Green Tea – It is packed with antioxidants, which are essential for fighting free radicals that cause aging.
Rosehip Oil – It’s really nourishing and makes my skin so soft. I use this oil at night and I always wake up with super glowy skin.
Hyaluronic Acid – Holds 1000X its weight in water and gives deep hydration.
Try to avoid cleansers that contain sulfates, they are way too harsh and will strip your skin of all it’s natural oils.
CLEANSER RECOMMENDATIONS: DERMALOGICA // TARTE // PHILOSOPHY // FRESH // HERBIVORE BOTANICALS
Toner is key for prepping the skin for your serum and moisturizer! But it can also be used help get rid of any dullness, the Pixi Glow Tonic is a fab exfoliating toner for all skin types.
TONERRECOMMENDATIONS: BOMBAY BEAUTY CO. // SHISEIDO // DERMALOGICA // CAUDALIE
To keep things balanced, use a light cream or gel formula in the AM and then a facial oil in the PM. Don’t forget your SPF in the daytime (these are all my fave sunscreens)!
MOISTURIZER RECOMMENDATIONS: WISHTREND // CLINIQUE // KIEHL’S // ÉMINENCE // CAUDALIE // TARTE // AURA CACIA
If you’re using something on the gentle side like this powder, you can get away with exfoliating 4-5x weekly. But something stronger like these peel pads should only be used 1-2x at the most.
CLEANSER RECOMMENDATIONS: KERSTIN FLORIAN // OLEHENRICKSEN // PHILOSOPHY // CLARINS
If you’re breaking out, use a mud mask that will help absorb excess oil and draw out toxins.
MASK RECOMMENDATIONS: BOMBAY BEAUTY CO. // DERMALOGICA // ANDALOU NATURALS // PETER THOMAS ROTH // GLAMGLOW // SEPHORA COLLECTION
I’m SO obsessed with my Clarisonic and there are lots of different brush heads to choose from. The radiance brush head really makes the skin glow and evens out the complexion. If you have a lot of blackheads, then the deep pore brush head is fab.
In terms of serums, normal skin can always benefit from a serum that is designed to brighten or hydrate.
SERUM RECOMMENDATIONS: MY ORGANIC ZONE // FARÁSALI // ELEMIS // FIRST AID BEAUTY // SUNDAY RILEY
The order of application? Cleanser, toner, serum, eye cream and moisturizer.
These are the only two places I trust when it comes to medical-grade skincare treatments.
SKIN TECHNIQUE (Vancouver)
KATE SOMERVILLE SKIN HEALTH EXPERTS (LA)
TREATMENT RECOMMENDATION: The Hydra Facial is fucking magical. Your skin gets a deep cleanse, microdermabrasion (which low-key feels like a cat licking your face) to exfoliate and then finally an infusion highly concentrated with antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, and other skin loving things. The infusion is medical grade btw, so it’s no joke. Another thing I love about this treatment is that it’s amazing for removing blackheads, the machine literally vacuums them right out.
– Drink lots of water so your skin stays hydrated and plump.
– Don’t overwash your face (no more than 2X a day) or you’ll strip the skin of its natural oils.
– Try to keep your shower at a reasonable temperature, when the water is too hot it leads to dryness.
– Always pat the skin dry, don’t rub.
– Other skin troubles? These are 8 ways you’re secretly sabotaging your skin.
– Prepping the skin using a primer (my all time fave) or moisturizer is essential for creating a smooth base and getting your makeup to last all day.
– Oil priming is something I’m obsessed with. It makes the skin glow like nothing else!
– Always mist yourself with a setting spray (my fave with antioxidants) after using powder to lock in makeup and restore hydration
– I like to pop off the outer ring on my Clarisonic brush head to get right into the hairline and around the nose to make sure all of my makeup is removed before bed. But for around the eyes that is a major no-no! I recently bought this makeup remover and I’m OBSESSED. It’s so gentle around the eyes and the packaging is so effing convenient.
Normal skin is pretty low maintenance for the most part and you can get away with using a lot of different products. But of course, a change in seasons, traveling, stress, and other external factors can affect what is going on with the skin. If you feel like you need some extra nourishment (if you get dry in the fall/winter etc.) then peep the dry skin guide. Or if you’re feeling particularly oily and are breaking out, you can look at the oily/acne prone skin guide for more product suggestions and tips.
SHOP THE POST