If you’ve taken my skin type test and discovered your type is sensitive, you're in the right place! With your skincare routine, the goal is to calm redness, reduce inflammation and make sure the skin stays hydrated AF.
These are ingredients I love for sensitive skin! There are also ingredients I try to avoid, so do your skin a favor and check those too.
ALOE + CUCUMBER – Both of these are very cooling, soothing, and give a ton of hydration. Aloe, in particular, is very healing.
LAVENDER + CHAMOMILE – Obvi they smell amazing! But they have anti-inflammatory properties that help calm the skin.
MUSHROOM – Weird, I know. But there are a few kinds of mushrooms that help soothe the skin, reduce redness, and strengthens the skin barrier. I love the Dr.Andrew Weil for Origins Mega-Mushroom line.
***None of the products mentioned below contain artificial fragrances, which can really irritate sensitive skin***
AVOID ALCOHOL AT ALL COSTS!!! It will leave your face so effing dry and angry. Also take it easy on the acid/exfoliating toners, they can be too harsh for daily use on sensitive skin. If you’re sensitive to touch, a spray or mist will be ultra soothing.
TONERRECOMMENDATIONS: EARTHWISE // FRESH // ORIGINS // ÉMINENCE
If your skin is sensitive to touch, then use a chemical exfoliant. Just go with something gentle and don’t leave it on for too long, start with half of the recommended time and see how it goes. It’s okay to feel a slight tingle, but it should never burn. If you do like something physical, I’ve linked a couple below that are super gentle and won’t leave your skin feeling raw.
CLEANSER RECOMMENDATIONS: DERMALOGICA // FIRST AID BEAUTY // FARMACY // ÉMINENCE
A good gel mask can help calm redness and give a good dose of hydration. Sheet masks are also nice because they’re super gentle. Avoid anything that might give a “warming” sensation as heat can cause irritation.
MASK RECOMMENDATIONS: ERNO LASZLO // KARUNA // ORIGINS // ÉMINENCE
I’m SO obsessed with my Clarisonic and they make a brush head specifically for sensitive skin. A lot of people think the Clarisonic is super aggressive, but it’s actually really gentle. It won’t even break an egg yolk!
An antioxidant serum is perfect for fighting off free radicals and helps to strengthen the skin barrier. Anything designed to hydrate or soothe is also perf!
SERUM RECOMMENDATIONS: MILK // FIRST AID BEAUTY // REN
The order of application? Cleanser, toner, serum, eye cream and moisturizer.
These are the only two places I trust when it comes to medical-grade skincare treatments.
SKIN TECHNIQUE (Vancouver)
KATE SOMERVILLE SKIN HEALTH EXPERTS (LA)
TREATMENT RECOMMENDATION: The Hydra Facial is fucking magical. Your skin gets a deep cleanse, microdermabrasion (which low-key feels like a cat licking your face) to exfoliate and then finally an infusion highly concentrated with antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, and other skin loving things. The infusion is medical grade btw, so it’s no joke. And yes, it’s completely safe for those with sensitive skin!
– Keep your skincare products in the fridge, when they’re cold it will help calm and soothe the skin
– Try to avoid anything with artificial fragrance and dyes, they can just cause irritation
– ALWAYS do a patch test and wait 24 hours when trying a new product. It’s worth it just to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction or sensitivity.
– Try to keep your shower at a reasonable temperature, when the water is too hot it will lead to dryness and redness.
– Always pat the skin dry, don’t rub.
– Other skin troubles? These are 8 ways you’re secretly sabotaging your skin.
– If you really struggle with redness, try a color correcting primer or concealer (green neutralizes red) before foundation.
– Mineral makeup is your friend!!! I’ve really been loving the Clove + Hallow powder foundation lately. Now I am typically not a powder foundation kind of girl, but I did a little tutorial using it and you’ll see it’s hella bomb.
– Always mist yourself with a setting spray after using powder to lock in makeup and restore hydration. This mist can be used before or after makeup, has no nasty ingredients and is perfect for sensitive skin. Youngblood’s entire line is actually great for your skin type!
– I like to pop off the outer ring on my Clarisonic brush head to get right into the hairline and around the nose to make sure all of my makeup is removed before bed. But for around the eyes that is a major no-no! I recently bought this makeup remover and I’m OBSESSED. It’s so gentle around the eyes and the packaging is so effing convenient.
SHOP THE POST